Advanced Search

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Chiang Mai Forum!

Visit the Chiang Mai Forum on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/chiangmainforum

Author Topic: Gov crackdown on Guesthouses  (Read 298 times)

May 30, 2018, 12:36:55 PM
Read 298 times

admin

• Administrator

• Admin

• Mind-Body Thailand
Gov crackdown on Guesthouses
« on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
Wed 30 May 2018, 12:31 pm

"Guesthouses," usually small family-run hotels have been a cottage industry in Thailand for decades serving budget travelers and lending charm and character to tourist areas. Many travelers prefer the small-scale intimacy, charm and personal service to the more sterile and cold-blooded commercial hotels. To each their own, of course. However, this industry, the livelihoods of generations of guesthouse owners and operators are at risk as the gov moves to make it difficult or impossible for such places to continue to operate in Thailand. Not only does this effect the guesthouse operators but also budget travelers who will have fewer options and my be entirely priced-out of visiting Thailand.  Of course, in our opinion, it would be better for the big hotel operators/owners (many of whom are members of the government) to work hard to provide better service and lower prices rather than colluding to squash an entire industry comprised mostly of innocents with little or no defense against the gov and big business. While undoubtedly there are many levels to this story, I rarely ask my facebook friends to share posts, but I make an exception this time. If you love these little guesthouse facilities or are just opposed to abuse of power from gov and big business PLEASE SHARE this with friends and colleagues. Thanks!  -Rex[/size

THE NATION- Facing a crackdown on unregistered accommodations, the operators of 200 small hotels and guesthouses in Chiang Maiís Muang district on Friday jointly hired a team of experienced lawyers to petition the court to legalise their businesses, as well as asking for help from related agencies . . .  Read more => http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346274

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk