IMMIGRATION > Passports

Getting a new U.S. Passport

(1/1)

admin:
Mon 14 Jul 2014, 7:19 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I would pass this along.

I will be buying a new passport during the U.S. Consular visit here in Khon Kaen on Wednesday. The Consular visits are a damn nice service to those communities who get them.  I have a year left on my passport, but my visa extension expires in December and Imm  might balk if my passport only has six months left. They might not balk, but not wise to try and second-guess that process.   So, to avoid an unwanted trip to Bangers, might as well use this opportunity and get it done.  Also, need my financial letter, so get both out of the way in one stop.  It will be an expensive morning!

I had thought of putting it off and waiting for a good time to combine it with a holiday in Chiangmai and buy the new passport at the U.S. Consulate there.  However, I just heard from them, and while you can apply for the passport at the Consulate, they will not send the new one to you in the mail.  If you get it via the Consular visit, they do return it by mail, which is v. convenient.   Sweet!

The ACS also has a page 

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photos.html

explaining the requirements and dimensions of the necessary passport photo.  On that page is a tool that lets you upload your photo and see if it is up to spec, then download and print.  That's nice.  Saves a few bahtski and a trip to the photo shop.  You can download the new/renewal passport application form there as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version