Advanced Search

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Chiang Mai Forum!

Visit the Chiang Mai Forum on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/chiangmainforum

Author Topic: The main reason I chose to visit Chiang Mai  (Read 8523 times)

July 13, 2015, 07:45:02 AM
Read 8523 times

amelia88

The main reason I chose to visit Chiang Mai
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:45:02 AM »
I was on a larger trip to Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam as well as Thailand on the one trip.

I really wanted to see the north of Thailand. Most people who go to Thailand from my country tend to visit the party or beach spots in the south - Phuket, Koh Samui and so forth. That tends to be the main association people here have with Thailand.

I wanted to see more than the party spots and a lot of people had told me Chiang Mai was nice and accessible for a first timer to Thailand, but gave a different perspective than the south does.

I fell in love with it and always thought I would love to return someday.

July 13, 2015, 10:24:26 AM
Reply #1

admin

• Administrator

• Admin

• Mind-Body Thailand
Re: The main reason I chose to visit Chiang Mai
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
Mon 13 Jul 2015, 10:17 am

Hey Amelia,

Welcome to the forum!  We are glad to have you !  Keep coming back!

Although I have lived in the northeast in Khon Kaen (Isaan) the past 10 years, I fell in love with Chiang Mail when I visited a couple of years ago. Chiang Mai is beautiful.    It is culturally fantastic.  The food (falang and local) is superb.  Good, cheap transport.  There is a U.S. Consulate.   Proximity to an international airport.  In Khon Kaen, even though we have an airport, for years, the only place you could go was Bangkok, and the only carrier was Thai Air, the most expensive.  Now Kan Air is flying those little putt-putt twelve seat planes to Chiang Mai. 

The only down side is the TERRIBLE smog during the burning season, the traffic congestion due to the "moat" in inner city, and no ocean!

November 30, 2015, 03:01:33 AM
Reply #2

podrik

Re: The main reason I chose to visit Chiang Mai
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:01:33 AM »
I've not yet been (going next year!) but the first thing that drew me to Thailand was seeing a picture of the White Temple - I love architecture and this just blew me away, I can't wait to see it in person.  Once I started planning my trip, it became obvious that Chiang Mai was a 'must-do' for some relaxation after the frantic pace of Bangkok. I believe it's also a good place to learn to cook Thai?